Here are a few procurement interview questions that you should be prepared for!
- Tell me about yourself
- Where do you see yourself in five years time
- What do you see as your greatest strength/weakness
- Why do you want to move on from your current role
- What is the biggest challenge you have faced
- Why do you want to work for us?
- How do you deal with conflicts give me an example
Procurement specific questions
- What is the biggest achievement in your procurement career?
- Do you prefer tactical or strategic procurement?
- How do you deal with difficult stakeholders who don’t value procurement input?
- Explain what category management means and your experience of using it
- What is the most difficult challenge you have faced in your procurement career
- Give me an example of a contribution you made as a procurement manager
- What continuous learning do you undertake are you studying for your CIPS
- What differentiates you from the other candidates I am interviewing
My Top Tips
- Make sure you know your boilerplate I have been asked a question to test me on my understanding of contract terms
- If you work in the public sector they sometimes like to ask questions to test your understanding of the remedies directive!
- Use the STAR technique and have a mini case study in mind for different scenarios
- Bulletproof your CV statements and as above link to the star technique and practice articulating your response
- Research the values of the company and reiterate them in your own words
- Practice and remember the steps in a sourcing strategy
- Give examples of how cost reduction i.e the steps you took to achieve X not just I saved X
- Wow them with your skills, make a mental list and drop them in throughout your interview
- Demonstrate how you can to adapt to different situations and procure in all types of categories and work under pressure
Good luck, if you would like 1:1 coaching for interview sessions read my procurement coach page
ps I have a pretty good track record of getting a job offer for interviews so practice my checklist and lastly act confident maintain eye contact and smile!